Lesson 5: Making an Impact
Using your skills for success
Lesson 5 Vocabulary
- Taking financial risks to start a business, sell a product or make a profit
- Action Plan
- A tool for organizing people, resources and steps for finishing a project
- Put a plan into motion, take action
- Actions taken to improve a situation
It is time to TAKE ACTION! You and your class have selected a global partner school in need of a WASH intervention and are going to raise funds to implement the project. In order to host a successful event, you will need an action plan and everyone will need to contribute their skills and talents.
How can YOU help and be a leader for your team?
When we think about group assignments or class projects, we often think of having one leader for the group. However, every member of the team may need to step up at different times and use their leadership skills for the overall success of the project. Before you begin the planning process, take time to identify your strengths and the ways you can use them to help your class.
- Are you a good collaborator? You can help organize committees to complete different parts of the project.
- Are you a good communicator? You can help write messages for posters, flyers and announcements to let people know about your event.
- What are some of your leadership skills? List them below and think about how you can use each skill to contribute to the class effort.
Collaboration Working with others
Problem-solving Finding solutions to difficult problems
Communication Sharing information for others to understand
Project-planning Determining the steps, materials and people needed for a project
Goal-setting Deciding what you want to accomplish and making a plan to achieve results
Critical Thinking Evaluating a situation carefully to make a decision
List Your Leadership Skills
In your Lesson Five Worksheet, list your leadership skills and how they can be used for the project.
Creating an Action Plan
Now that you have reflected on your own skills and talents, it is time to work with your class to create your plan for action.
Follow the Steps to Create an Action Plan
Follow the steps outlined in your Lesson Five Worksheet to select, plan and implement your event.
Congratulations! You have hosted a successful event that raised money for your partner school and raised awareness about local water needs. You should be very proud of the work you have done as an individual and together as a class.
Tell Us What You Think
Click through to reflect on your Water Guardians experience and answer a few questions.
Complete Your Lesson Five Travel Journal
Take time to complete your Water Guardians Travel Journal with the final entry. You will submit your journal for review.